Wednesday, July 2, 2008

GTA IV revisted

Okay, my thoughts on GTA IV. I have to say that I am quite impressed with the story line and dialogue. This is the first time I've felt compelled to complete the entire story line of a game in the series, granted before GTA IV I had only played GTA III as well as Vice City.
There are a few control issues that become frustrating at times. Niko seems unable to take fewer than two or three steps at a time, not a huge issue until you decide to shoot up Liberty City using your combat sniper from the roof of an office building and need to creep up to the edge in order to peer over. I lost count of the number of times I was in the sandbox multiplayer with friends and after taking the time to get everyone loaded for bear then flying to a rooftop, half of us decided to go base jumping. It got frustrating. Fast.
Second, the auto targeting feels a bit clumsy at times, particularly late in the game when many of the firefights have niko facing a large number of enemies. In conjunction with this, the free aim feels clumsy as well, though it often serves as a better alternative to the autotargeting.
Overall I would have to say that this game was $60 well spent, and I would absolutely recommend that anyone interested in the genre pick it up if you haven't already.

Niko, buddy, you're gonna be alright.

No comments: